Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Reality Check

My husband and I met with our social worker, Mr. Baxter, to turn in all of our adoption papers.  Man, the questions they have you fill out -They want your whole entire life story!  Between me and my husband, we turned in 40 typed pages! The social worker said we filed everything very quickly and that most people don't turn their papers in so fast.  I thought that was funny because later, he conducted a small interview and asked how long our courtship was.
I responded, "We were engaged after 5 weeks from our first date and married 11 weeks after that."
Mr. Baxter tipped his glasses down to raise his eyebrows at me.  Joseph smiled wryly and told the story of our first kiss (which was his first kiss)  "She's always been a fast mover. When she knows something is right, she doesn't hesitate, she moves!"
"Well, I guess that explains why you two are getting everything set in motion with this adoption so fast."
We had a great visit and everything went well.
Near the end of the interview he informed us with what he called "a reality check."
"I must tell you that most young birth mothers are looking for a 'Ken and Barbie' couple, one with a nice big house and preferably no other children.  It may be very difficult for you to find someone who would be willing to give their baby to you... you're an older couple with children of your own already and you live in an apartment."
"I'm not too worried," I said "We have fasted and prayed about this and have received a very clear answer.  I feel confident that the Lord will make it all happen in His way and timing." My husband smiled with agreement.
"Well then, if all goes well, you should be able to get your profile up by January sometime."
"That's what we're hoping."  We shook Mr. Baxter's hand and thanked him as he wished us the best.
He's coming back again on Monday to interview our children and inspect our home.  It's been great motivation for me do some deep cleaning. I feel good about things.  Our apartment may be small and not very stylish but I can say it's clean.

This morning in my scripture studies, I read a verse and thought of how this has all come to be.  I'm overwhelmed with gratitude.  It is nothing short of a miracle.  Something has changed in my husband, I can't describe it.  I never thought I would see him so enthusiastic about this or about life.  The Spirit has rested upon him these past few months in a way that I've never seen before.  He's been happier, more resilient, more faith-filled, and more at peace.  We both know that the Spirit has been guiding us.  We trust this and because we trust the character of our Father in Heaven we know that it will all work out.  This is His will for us.  Here's the scripture I read:

"And [we] do this for a wise purpose;  for thus it whispereth [us], according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in [us].  And now, [we] do not know all things;  but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, He worketh in [us] to do according to His will." - Words of Mormon 1:7

I know it's true.  We may not be the poster couple but it doesn't really matter.  The "reality check" is this is God's work not ours... And when it comes to the things of this world, I honestly believe "sometimes having more is really less." We will be led in the right direction and there is nothing to fear.

-Alicia


2 comments:

Ramona Gordy said...

Thank you Alicia for sharing this, your journey, your family journey. I thought about the words to this song, thought of Mary and her "interview". Thought about Joseph, what a wonderful husband he was. Thinking about this chosen generation, that we are blessed to be a part of it. More truer words ever spoken "Children are a heritage of the Lord. Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness.....

"Breath of Heaven" Point of Grace
https://youtu.be/PIg-7kbnUt8

Alicia Rawlins said...

Thank you Ramona! I love that song, Breath of Heaven. It's beautiful!

It's interesting how with this on our hearts now, I'm gaining new insight and connection to stories in the scriptures like Mary and Joseph, Moses in the basket, and the adoption into the House of Israel. It's been really cool. I told my husband the other day that I feel like I do when I'm expecting, the same anticipation, the same excitement, even the same attachment. I love this little one already so much (whoever he or she is.) I can't wait to take this little baby in my arms and embrace them into our family. :)