Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

What a Friend!!

This is a song I really wish was in our hymn books. One might recognize the tune from "Israel Israel God is Calling."  The version I have here is from Newsboys so it's not the rhythm we're used to singing in my church but every time I listen to it and focus on the words, I feel the Spirit.  I'm so thankful for prayer, for the atonement, for the intercession the Spirit makes when I cannot find the words.  It fills me with hope and peace knowing that no matter how big or small the issue - if it is weighing on my heart - My Father in Heaven and Savior know, They care about it, and I will have the aide of Heaven to help me through.   I'm so thankful for the vision, the serenity, the courage, the hope, the joy, the direction, the forgiveness, the love, and comfort I find in my Savior.  He truly is my greatest Friend!

-Alicia


 
"What A Friend We Have In Jesus"

What a friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!

O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.


2 comments:

Ramona Gordy said...

Hey Alicia
I remember this song, I grew up in the Southern Baptist tradition and it was great. This hymn was sung all the time, by everyone. I remember taking piano lessons from the Music Director of my Church (he was mean:). and this was in our hymnal, so it was one of the first songs I learned to play and sing along without confusing myself. ha ha
One really good memory of the power of this song, is one summer my Mom sent me and my brother to stay with my Aunt and her kids "in the country". I promised to keep up my piano lessons somehow, so My Aunt sent us to a little "shotgun" church. I remember the people being so nice and loving that you really could feel the "Spirit". So they let me practice my lessons on their piano. I started to play this song, and I must have rehearsed it a couple of times and then a few people gathered around and started to sing, and one man played his guitar and another a tambourine. I was shocked and stopped playing, but they wanted me to continue. So we all sang and played instruments and afterward had a spontaneous prayer. As a kid I thought that they were weird, but looking back, they were so cool, and filled with the Holy Spirit and not ashamed to show it.

Alicia Rawlins said...

That's a great story from your childhood, Ramona. I would loved to have been there and joined in the spontaneous prayer of song!! :) Do you still play piano?
I have come to appreciate the passion of other Christian religions too. I am confident my grandmother's Southern Baptist blood flows within my veins.