I had the opportunity of attending both the 9:00 and the 3:00 dedication services of the Provo City Center Temple in March. I took a notebook with me to write down my thoughts and impressions from all who spoke.
The talk that struck me the most during the 9:00 session was Elder Oaks. He began his address referring to another Temple in our church history that had risen from the ashes, the Nauvoo Temple. He spoke of it as being a preparatory temple for those pioneer saints to face the difficult journey ahead of them. It had just been completed when the persecution against the Church grew so intense that they were forced to leave their beautiful Nauvoo.
In his talk Elder Oaks likened the Provo City Center to the Nauvoo Temple saying that it would also be a preparatory temple for the struggles we would face in these last days. In order to press through the hardships and trials of our day, he encouraged us to re-dedicate our lives to the building of Zion. He testified of the ability to access heavenly power by doing temple work for our ancestors and also learning their stories.
Along this principle of building up the kingdom of God and establishing Zion in such a contentious day and age, Elder Oaks quoted from Abraham Lincoln's first inaugural address, "Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature." (I especially loved that Elder Oaks quoted this because it was something I had just written about 2-and-a-half weeks prior to the dedication.)
He emphasized that this "union" would be bound by the "mystic chords of memory" the stories of our loved ones, our ancestors, those in our family who have passed away. He promised that as we learn and share their stories of faith, their personal testimonies, their struggles, and their triumphs, we will be "touched... by the better angels of our nature." This very simple act of turning and connecting to the faith our forefathers and foremothers will not only soften our hearts and help us connect, instill unity, and increase our affection for one another in our family... but also in our community.
This past year, I have studied the life and stories of my 3rd great grandfather, William Wall (on my dad's side) and my great aunt Sylvia (on my mom's side). Their stories of faith have astonished me. I had no idea the kinds of things they had to persevere and press through. They were every bit as brave and valiant as the prophets of old. A great spirit of reverence and respect has instilled upon my heart for these ancestors of mine. Even more wonderful, is that through reading their records I have felt their presence very clearly in my life...
I have felt the presence of angels... Something I think we are ALL going to need... for what lies ahead. (2 Kings 6:16)
-Alicia
"I pray the power of the Holy Ghost will be with each of us—that we may think what we need to think, feel what we need to feel, and learn what we need to learn so we can do what we know we should do and ultimately become what the Lord yearns for us to become." - David A. Bednar
Featured Post
The Purest Love
"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...
No comments:
Post a Comment