Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Sunday, August 21, 2016

My Girl!

I have the best news ever!!  My niece, Alexa, has decided to be baptized as a member of the Church. Her date is set for this coming Saturday!

Yesterday, she invited me, Joseph and the kids to go on a missionary tour to downtown Temple Square with her boyfriend (Conner), and the Elders who have been teaching her the discussions.  My parents met up with us at the visitor center too.  One of the Elders is from the home town my dad's mom is from in Goldsboro, North Carolina.  He loved that!


In the upstairs of the North Visitor Center they have a really cool presentation that takes you through the Proclamation to the World on the Family.  It was my first time ever seeing it and I thought it was great! I really hope things work out for Conner and Alexa to have their own family someday.  He's always extremely respectful of her.  I love that the two of them can have the time of their life without their hands all over each other.  Their relationship is so much deeper and so much more.  He truly is her best friend and they can talk about anything.  Conner is getting ready to serve a mission.  Alexa has been very supportive of his decision even though it's not easy to send him away.

I found out Conner's dad is just one year older than Joseph and his mom is almost 3 years older than me.  His dad went to Bingham High just like Joseph and His mom went to my high school in West Jordan.  Kinda crazy!  I unofficially adopted Alexa as my own when she was three, when her parents divorced.  She's my girl!  I can't help but take an interest in making sure she dates and ultimately marries a wonderful guy.  Conner definitely has my stamp of approval.

Alexa has aquired a lot of family in the wake of her parent's relationships. Even Joseph's side of the family knows her quite well from me bringing her with us to several of his gatherings. It's going to be a very large crowd showing up to support her for her baptism.  I even think her mom (my sister) might go, which would be amazing because Amy hasn't set foot in a church since her first divorce.  Alexa's dad refuses to be there though, which I think is sad... but Alexa is handling it very well and is choosing not to be offended.  She has maturely accepted his choice to stay away.

Alexa has asked if I would speak at her baptism.  I'm absolutely thrilled at the invitation.  I only hope I can get through the talk without blubbering my whole way.  When we dropped Alexa off after our wonderful afternoon together, I admiringly watched how tightly Chandler hugged his cousin. I don't think I've ever seen him hug anyone that tight before. He has always loved her. I know he looks up to her and values the choices she is making.

As my husband and I knelt in prayer that evening I thanked my Father in Heaven for Alexa's example to my children.  I love this sweet girl.  She is pure and genuine, beautiful and humble, gentle and thoughtful!  What a blessing she has always been and always will be in all of our lives!

-Alicia


Chandler, Micah, Miriam, and Alexa - 2007



No comments: