As I was studying in Moroni, I noticed chapters 7, 9, and 10 all mention the word "rest." Upon reading this word, I felt a desire to extract it off the page, swallow it like a pill, and have its remedial effects penetrate deep into every fiber of my heart. While contemplating its consumption, I remembered that I had already been taught how to obtain rest. I have written about this before - Rest comes from coming unto Christ and "learning meekness." - Matthew 11:29-30
To have this rest I so desperately desire, I must become meek. I began to search as many conference talks or BYU speeches I could find on meekness. I found several and saved quotes from each of them. I hit a gold mine when I opened up this one by Neal A. Maxwell - "Meek and Lowly"
I took down some portions that really struck me.
"The full witness often does not come 'until after the trial of your faith' (Ether 12:6). Those trials may be very focused. President Lorenzo Snow once said to the Twelve of his day, 'Every one of us who has not already had the experience must yet meet it of being tested in every place where we are weak' (Abraham H. Cannon journal, April 9, 1890). Indeed, did not the Lord specifically promise the meek that he would make 'weak things become strong unto them' (Ether 12:27)
“Did Paul not speak knowingly of the ‘fellowship of [Christ’s] sufferings’ (Philippians 3:10)? Are we not told that meekness is so vital that God actually gives us certain challenges in order to keep us humble (Ether 12:27)? Did not Peter write regarding how Christians should expect to be familiar with fiery trials (1 Peter 4:12)? Furthermore, as the disciple enriches his relationship with the Lord, he is apt to have periodic ‘public relations’ problems with others, being misrepresented and misunderstood . He or she will have to 'take it' at times. Meekness, therefore, is a key to deepening discipleship.” - Elder Neal A. Maxwell - BYU Oct. 21, 1986 - Meek and Lowly
After reading these, It occurred to me that meekness is meant to grow out of weakness. Grateful for this imagery, such a realization helps me embrace the pain that accompanies areas where I am weak - like fully embracing the cutting, yet skillful, blade in the hands of the Master Physician. In striving to sincerely submit my will to His, I may be misrepresented or misunderstood by others and whatever comes of that, I must "take it!"
To renforce this principle of pain being part of the proceedure, C.S. Lewis said:
In Elder Neal A. Maxwell's talk, he lists characteristics of the truly meek. I laid them out and read them over and over again, wanting to burn them into memory. I have so much to learn! I'm grateful the Lord is patient with me as I stumble and fall along the way. He kindly guides me and brings healing to my heart. In Him, I truly do find rest to my soul.
-Alicia
To renforce this principle of pain being part of the proceedure, C.S. Lewis said:
"[So God is, then, something like a divine physician.] A cruel man might be bribed—might grow tired of his vile sport—might have a temporary fit of mercy, as alcoholics have [temporary] fits of sobriety. But suppose that what you are up against is a [wonderfully skilled] surgeon whose intentions are [solely and absolutely] good. [Then], the kinder and more conscientious he is, [the more he cares about you,] the more inexorably he will go on cutting [in spite of the suffering it may cause. And] if he yielded to your entreaties, if he stopped before the operation was complete, all the pain up to that point would have been useless. . . . [pp. 49–50]
[So I am, you see, one] of God’s patients, not yet cured. I know there are not only tears [yet] to be dried but stains [yet] to be scoured. [My] sword will be made even brighter. [C. S. Lewis, A Grief Observed (New York: Seabury Press, Inc., 1961 p. 49]"
In Elder Neal A. Maxwell's talk, he lists characteristics of the truly meek. I laid them out and read them over and over again, wanting to burn them into memory. I have so much to learn! I'm grateful the Lord is patient with me as I stumble and fall along the way. He kindly guides me and brings healing to my heart. In Him, I truly do find rest to my soul.
-Alicia
Characteristics of the Truly Meek
- Serious disciples are not only urged to do good but also to avoid growing weary of doing good (see Galatians 6:9 and Helaman 10:5).
- They are not only urged to speak the truth but also to speak the truth in love (see Ephesians 4:15).
- They are not only urged to endure all things but also to endure them well (see D&C 121:8).
- They are not only urged to be devoted to God’s cause but also to be prepared to sacrifice all things, giving, if necessary, the last full measure of devotion (see Lectures on Faith 6:7).
- They are not only to do many things of worth but are also to focus on the weightier matters, the things of most worth (see Matthew 23:23).
- They are not only urged to forgive but also to forgive seventy times seven (see Matthew 18:21–22).
- They are not only to be engaged in good causes, but also they are to be “anxiously engaged” (see D&C 58:27).
- They are not only to do right but also to do right for the right reasons.
- They are told to get on the strait and narrow path, but then are told that this is only the beginning, not the end (see 2 Nephi 31:19–20).
- They are not only to endure enemies but also to pray for them and to love them (see Matthew 5:44).
- They are urged not only to worship God but, astoundingly, they are instructed to strive to become like him! (See Matthew 5:48; 3 Nephi 12:48, 27:27.)
- In the midst of all these things,” they are given a Sabbath day for rest, during which they do the sweetest but often the hardest work of all.
- The meek individual may not, to be sure, always fully decipher what is happening to him or around him. However, even though he does not “know the meaning of all things,” he knows that the Lord loves him (see 1 Nephi 11:17).
- He may feel overwhelmed, but, unlike the proud, he is not out of control. In fact, in some moments it is important for us to “Be still, and know that [he is] God” (Psalms 46:10). Even articulate discipleship has its side of silent certitude!
- True meekness has a metabolism that actually requires very little praise or recognition.
- The greater his knowledge, the greater his meekness. The more he strives to become like Jesus and the more he wishes to declare his gospel, the more he rejoices exceedingly when Christ’s message is heeded. - Elder Neal A. Maxwell - BYU Oct. 21, 1986 - Meek and Lowly
No comments:
Post a Comment