This morning I listened to the most recent General Conference as I got ready for church. "Waiting for the Prodigal" began to play... I listened and thought of each of my siblings.
"Some of you... have family members who have temporarily lost their way... When the lost one is your son or your daughter, your brother or your sister, and he or she has chosen to leave, we learned in our family that, after all we can do, we love that person with all of our hearts and we watch, we pray, and we wait for the Lord’s hand to be revealed." - Elder Brent H. Neilson
Both my brothers and my sister have chosen to leave the Church. As the conference talk played, my mind centered mostly on my sister because it's her birthday today and her daughter is staying the weekend with me. My sister is openly against the church, even against God. Her habits, lifestyle, political and social views usually differ completely opposite from my own. But like Elder Neilson, "although [I cannot] embrace all of [my sister's] choices, [I can] certainly embrace her. [I] love, [I] watch, and [I] wait."
My sister and I were very close growing up. I was her shadow and followed her around like a long lost puppy. She took me out for ice cream, dressed me up and gave me make-overs. She made cassette recordings of our favorite songs so we could dance our hearts out without the noise of commercial breaks. (To this day, every time I hear "We Built This City" I think of her.) Then there were the quite moments she would sympathetically nurse my wounds after I had just received a beating from my father's "bad behavior stick." She was very compassionate.
I saw her deep compassion displayed again when I was in Jr. High and she took me to her new job at the local care center. The place was repugnant with the smell of urine and rubbing alcohol. I remember vividly the way she greeted the residents in their wheelchairs as she walked down the corridors. Most of the residents had food encrusted around their mouths with gnarled paralyzed hands covered in drool. She would look each person in the eyes, put her arms around them and kiss them lovingly on the cheek. I watched in amazement - never once did their appearance or odor make her flinch. She understood their worth and true identity. She inspired me to get involved in the peer tutoring program and later get a job in a nursing home as well.
To this day, she continues to work at care centers and rest homes. Occasionally, I have driven to Salt Lake to help wheel the residents to her activities. I love to see my sister at her work, this is where she is "in her element" where I see her for who she really is.
The simple truth is, All of us are in some ways like the prodigal... "All of us fall short of the glory of the Father (see Romans 3:23). All of us need the Savior’s Atonement to heal us. All of us are lost and need to be found."- Elder Brent H. Neilson
As far as the Church goes in her life. I honestly believe my sister will return someday. I don't know how long it will take but I know her heart is good. Until then, I will continue to love, and watch, and wait.
-Alicia
August sixteenth,
Nineteen-seventy-four
A strange bird left a bundle
Just outside the door –
A curious package, exceptionally fair,
With bluish-gray eyes,
And reddish-blond hair.
Whimsical and fun,
Filled with laughter and light,
This lively young girl
Grew witty and bright.
Time passed along,
She loved to skate and to dance
And she did so in style –
With acid-washed pants.
Her young siblings followed
Wanting to also be cool.
Amy had the attention
Of every boy in the school.
When it came down to friends,
She made them so easy.
She was accepting and loving
And a little bit cheesy.
I think of her always,
Quite often I miss her.
Today I celebrate
The life of my sister.
By, Alicia Rawlins 8-16-15



No comments:
Post a Comment