Fifteen chapters make up the book of Ether. Translated from records approximately 2,800 years older than his time, and faithfully commentated by Moroni, he placed this story at the tail end of The Book of Mormon before closing with his own final words. Interesting parallels are contained within Ether’s 15 chapters of the Jaradites that echo similar themes found within the records of the Nephite and Lamanite nations which chronologically come after Ether’s account: The Book of Mormon and Ether both start with families that are commanded to build ships and embark into the unknown. Both books heavily preach faith, hope, and charity through Christ. Both contain records of terrible war driven by pride, greed, envy, hatred, and secret combinations. Both show a pattern of prophets, and both conclude with a lone prophet who ends up witnessing total annihilation of his own nation.
Pattern of Revelation
There is something truly beautiful and wonderful about the unknown when it is placed before us by the hand of God. What glory will be revealed as the blindfold is removed from our eyes and we see exactly how the Lord has been guiding us along our own journey through life. There is a great pattern of revelation exemplified in both Lehi and the Brother of Jared’s family to build a ship after the manner of the Lord, to leave behind all their comforts and embark in uncharted waters, knowing fully and completely that God was leading them towards a promised land. Both fasted and prayed much and went to the mountain often to seek direction and as they did so, the Lord in His goodness instructed them and blessed them according to their desires.
“Here we go, going in alone, into the dark and wonderful unknown, let us go, let us go.” (Ingrid Michaelson - Wonderful Unknown)
Pattern of Principles
Both records contain deeply rooted principles of faith, hope, and charity in and through our Savior, Jesus Christ. Alma gives a beautiful sermon on what it means to plant the seed (the word of God), to nourish it with full faith and complete hope that it will grow. As the soil of our hearts are open and receptive - carefully and consistently cultivated, the seed will grow into the most beautiful tree and bear the fruit of pure love, the love of Christ or charity.
“These divine attributes should become fixed in our hearts and minds to guide us in all of our actions. We read in Moroni, ‘Cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all. … Whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.’ Charity can be the outward expression of faith and hope. If sought and obtained, these three foundation elements of celestial character will abide with us in this life and beyond the veil into the next life.” - (Joseph B. Wirthlin - Cultivating Divine Attributes - October 1998 General Conference)
Pattern of Pride
Among the virtues preached in these books, there is also a great warning of a horrible vice. It was pride that led individuals, families, and nations to war and ultimate destruction. The pattern is made clear as we observe the many contentious souls driven by, greed, envy, and hatred. Spiritual things matter nothing to them for they cannot see beyond their own face. With stiff necks, high heads, and blind minds - their souls are ugly, cankered and diseased by vanity and selfishness.
“The Doctrine and Covenants tells us that the Book of Mormon is the ‘record of a fallen people.’ (D&C 20:9.) Why did they fall? This is one of the major messages of the Book of Mormon. Mormon gives the answer in the closing chapters of the book in these words: ‘Behold, the pride of this nation, or the people of the Nephites, hath proven their destruction.’ (Moro. 8:27.) And then, lest we miss that momentous Book of Mormon message from that fallen people, the Lord warns us in the Doctrine and Covenants, ‘Beware of pride, lest ye become as the Nephites of old.’ (D&C 38:39.)” - President Ezra Taft Benson - Beware of Pride - April Ensign 1989
Pattern of Prophets
We have a Father in Heaven who loves us, He loves all His children. He doesn’t want to see us fall like these nations did. Witnessing His children destroy themselves or each other brings great sorrow to His heart (Moses 7:28-33). This is why He constantly sends prophets, to call us to repentance so we have fair warning and so we may be healed (3 Nephi 9:13). Time and time again the prophets come and tragically they are rejected over and over. In the October 2014 General Conference, Sister Carol F. McConkie taught:
“We heed prophetic word even when it may seem unreasonable, inconvenient, and uncomfortable. According to the world’s standards, following the prophet may be unpopular, politically incorrect, or socially unacceptable. But following the prophet is always right.” - Carol F. McConkie
Pattern of Courage Through Conversion
It may be hard to do what is right especially when we have opposing pressure from peers, family, friends, or coworkers. They may argue over our decisions. They may ridicule or mock us, telling us that we need to lighten up or relax. But we must be firm in keeping the standards of the church, even if it means standing alone. Dare to be strong and let go of worry over opinions or approval. President Monson counseled in the April 2014 conference:
“It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval... Needed is the courage...to hold strong and fast... to do not that which [is] easy but that which [is] right... We will all face fear, experience ridicule, and meet opposition. Let us—all of us—have the courage to defy the consensus, the courage to stand for principle. Courage, not compromise, brings the smile of God’s approval. Courage becomes a living and an attractive virtue when it is regarded not only as a willingness to die manfully but also as the determination to live decently.” - (President Thomas S. Monson - Be Strong and of a Good Courage)
This kind of courage stems from conversion. It is the soul that is so deeply converted that they will not compromise covenants and the things they know to be true even if they have to “stand alone.” These two great prophets, Ether and Moroni, stood alone and they both witnessed the fall and total annihilation of their people. Even still, they remained firm and were true at all times.
“And the Lord spake unto Ether, and said unto him: Go forth. And he went forth, and beheld that the words of the Lord had all been fulfilled; and he finished his record” - Ether 15:33
“I even remain alone to write the sad tale of the destruction of my people. But behold, they are gone, and I fulfil the commandment of my father. And whether they will slay me, I know not.” - Mormon 8:3
Being true until the battle was over instilled within the souls of these prophets a Godly confidence. Like Paul, they could say, “I have fought the good fight.” They could trust and know with certainty that great blessings awaited them for their faithfulness.
“I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge” - Moroni 10:34
“Now the last words which are written by Ether are these: Whether the Lord will that I be translated, or that I suffer the will of the Lord in the flesh, it mattereth not, if it so be that I am saved in the kingdom of God. Amen.” - Ether 15:34
I’m sure that Moroni felt a deep connection to the prophet Ether even though almost three-thousand years spanned between them. They were bound in principles of truth. Perhaps Moroni was strengthened as he abriged Ether's record knowing that there was one who had walked a similar road as he did, who felt many of the same emotions, burdens, and lonliness carried by those called to be prophets of God. They both witnessed the same patterns among their people: Patterns of revelation, of principle, of pride, of prophets, and of conversion. How do we connect with these righteous men? What can we learn from their records that will help us in our own journey? I testify that their writings are made for just that - to help us along our way. They are sacred and true. The patterns of Ether and Moroni’s time also parallel our day. I am forever grateful for all who sacrificed to bring them into my hands. They are the word of God unto salvation. I know this!!
-Alicia
-Alicia
..................
- Pattern of Revelation
- “inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper, and shall be led to a land of promise; yea, even a land which I have prepared for you; yea, a land which is choice above all other lands.” - 1 Nephi 2:20
- “I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Nevertheless I went forth.” - 1 Nephi 4:6,7
- “Surely the Lord hath commanded us to do this thing; and shall we not be diligent in keeping the commandments of the Lord?” - 1 Nephi 4:34
- “I arose and went up into the mountain, and cried unto the Lord.... the Lord spake unto me, saying: Thou shalt construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee, that I may carry thy people across these waters. And I said: Lord, wither shall I go that I may find ore to molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown me?” - 1 Nephi 17:7-9
- “As ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led.” - 1 Nephi 17:13
- “I did build it after the manner which the Lord had shown unto me… and I Nephi, did go into the mount oft, and I did pray oft unto the Lord; wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things.” - 1 Nephi 18:2-3
- “after we had sailed for the space of many days we did arrive at the promised land” - 1 Nephi 18:23
- “The brother of Jared did go to work, and also his brethren, and built barges after the manner...according to the instructions of the Lord.” - Ether 2:16
- “The brother of Jared cried unto the Lord” “and he cried again unto the Lord” “he went forth unto the mount,...and cried again unto the Lord” - Ether 2:18,22 & 3:1
- “they got aboard their vessels… and set forth into the sea, commending themselves unto the Lord their God.” - Ether 6:4
- “And thus they were driven forth three hundred and forty and four days upon the water. And they did land upon the shore of the promised land.” - Ether 6:12
- Pattern of Principles
- “Now as I said concerning faith - faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.” - Alma 32:21
- “And because of your diligence and your faith and your patience with the word in nourishing it, that it may take root in you, behold, by and by ye shall pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, and which is white above all that is white, yea, and pure above all that is pure; and ye shall feast upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst.” - Alma 32:42
- “I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy” - 1 Nephi 8:10 “It is the love of God… the most desireable of all things, the most joyous to the soul” - 1 Nephi 11:22,23
- “Whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.” - Ether 12:4
- “Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore dispute not because ye see not” - Ether 12:6
- “I remember that thou has said that thou has loved the world, even unto the laying down of thy life… I know that this love which thou hast had for the children of men is charity”- Ether 12:33,34
- “Charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ” - Moroni 7:47,48
- Pattern of Pride
- “There are many that harden their hearts against the Holy Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught” - 2 Nephi 33:2
- “there were many… who had become hardened and impenitent and grossly wicked, insomuch that they did reject the word of God and all the preaching and prophesying which did come among them.” - Helaman 6:2
- “How could you have forgotten your God in the very day that He has delivered you? But behold, it is to get gain, to be praised of men...ye have set your hearts upon the vain things of this world” - Helaman 7:20:21
- “O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world?” - Mormon 8:38
- “He that will contend against the word of the Lord let him be accursed; and he that shall deny these things, let him be accursed” - Ether 4:8
- “And [the secret combinations] were kept up by the power of the devil to administer these oaths unto the people, to keep them in darkness, to help such as sought power to gain power” - Ether 8:16
- Pattern of Prophets
- “there came many prophets, prophesying unto the people that they must repent” - 1 Nephi 1:4
- “the Lord God hath sent His holy prophets among all the children of men” - Mosiah 3:13
- “God should redeem His people...all the prophets… have prophesied ever since the world began”- Mosiah 13:33
- “O that we had repented before this great and terrible day, and had not killed and stoned the prophets, and cast them out” - 3 Nephi 8:25
- “there came prophets among the people who were sent from the Lord, prophesying that the wickedness and idolatry of the people was bringing a curse upon the land, and they should be destroyed if they did not repent”- Ether 7:23
- “there came prophets in the land again, crying repentance” “but the people believed not the words of the prophets, but they cast them out” - Ether 9:28,29
- Pattern of Courage Through Conversion
- “I even remain alone to write the sad tale of the destruction of my people. But behold, they are gone, and I fulfil the commandment of my father. And whether they will slay me, I know not.” - Mormon 8:3
- “Blessed is he that is found faithful unto my name at the last day” - Ether 4:19
- “And the Lord spake unto Ether, and said unto him: Go forth. And he went forth, and beheld that the words of the Lord had all been fulfilled; and he finished his record... Now the last words which are written by Ether are these: Whether the Lord will that I be translated, or that I suffer the will of the Lord in the flesh, it mattereth not, if it so be that I am saved in the kingdom of God. Amen.” - Ether 15:33,34
- “I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge” - Moroni 10:34
2 comments:
I love this Alicia. I love the Book of Ether, though sadly I haven't given myself the opportunity to "digg in" yet. Your post has sparked an "AHA" for me. I have pondered the words of the Savior in John 14-16; his discourse to the disciples "I go to prepare a "place" for you. In my Fathers house there are many "rooms".... Where I AM, there may you be also. Of course his disciples asked Where are you going? Jesus said, you know the way.. I am the way, the truth and the Life. The light and life of the world
In reading the "patterns of revelation", this seems to mark the path with light. The book of Mormon, a book of truth concerning the Saviors dealing with those people. His visit to those people, his charge to Moroni to abridge the records and organize the book, to Joseph Smith who continued and finished the work. This is the place!!!! Right? The place of abiding in the Saviors love and his preparations for us. Those "rooms" may well denote the "steps" like the Stairway to Heaven in Jacobs dream
PS I have always felt that even though Heavenly Father and the Savior did manifest themselves to Joseph Smith, they did visit the earth? Do we tend to use the words "vision" to soften the doctrine? How did the world change because of this "visit", something in hard copy was the result, the Book of Mormon.
Thanks Alicia
Thank you Ramona for your thoughts. I like how you related the principles to places of being - a state that we are in... That revelation is a place we come to like entering a room. It certainly begs us to ask the question "Where do I stand?" and "Am I in the place where God would have me be in my life?" Thank you! Some wonderful deep thoughts for me to ponder upon today. :)
Bless you, my friend!
Post a Comment