"That's just too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
- The Cokeville Miracle
At the end of the credits, the audience applauded and the scripture from 2 Kings projected on the screen:
"Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them." - 2 Kings 6:16
I pointed to the scripture, leaned down to my son, Micah, and said, "Hey, you remember what happened in that scripture story?"
Micah's friend, Lex, looked over and asked, "What scripture story?"
"It's a really cool one from the Old Testament," I began.
Then Micah interrupted excitedly, "Yeah, it's about a prophet and his servant and they are surrounded by a huge army of their enemies. The servant is scared and the prophet says a prayer that his eyes would be open. Then the servant sees a whole ton of angels surrounding the enemy army."
"Wow, cool!" Lex exclaimed wide-eyed.
"Good job, Micah. I'm impressed!" I said as I patted him on the back.
As we made our way home today, a spirit of gratitude and reverence filled our hearts. My husband and I shared our personal testimonies of prayer and the reality of angels.
"In 1986 Cokeville made national headlines when a madman and his wife entered the elementary school with guns and bomb. They gathered over 100 children and teachers into a small room, and made a demand: $200 million dollars for the lives of the children - but then the bomb went off... How did a bomb that should have leveled the room take only two lives that day, the madman and his wife? Each child, each adult who made it out of that room has a story to tell. Follow the Sheriff's investigator Ron Hartley as he pieces together the evidence, including stories of prayer and divine intervention from multiple witnesses. Gather the evidence and decide for yourself. Do you see coincidence, or do you see miracles?" - IMDb
I don't know how many theaters or cities this movie has played in but I'm sure it will be available online soon. What a treat this was to watch today. I highly recommend it! Both my husband and I agree that it makes us want to search our family history more and get to know those who have gone before us. Malachi promises that in the last days "the hearts of the fathers [and mothers] will turn to their children and the hearts of the children will turn to their fathers [and mothers]." I truly believe that our ancestors are invested in our lives. It makes me want to be more invested in theirs. I testify that they watch over us and are intimately involved with the details of our every day, probably more so than they ever could have been in their mortal frame.
I know this!
“I believe we move and have our being in the presence of heavenly messengers and of heavenly beings. We are not separate from them. … We are closely related to our kindred, to our ancestors … who have preceded us into the spirit world. We can not forget them; we do not cease to love them; we always hold them in our hearts, in memory, and thus we are associated and united to them by ties that we can not break. … If this is the case with us in our finite condition, surrounded by our mortal weaknesses, … how much more certain it is … to believe that those who have been faithful, who have gone beyond … can see us better than we can see them; that they know us better than we know them. … We live in their presence, they see us, they are solicitous for our welfare, they love us now more than ever. For now they see the dangers that beset us; … their love for us and their desire for our well being must be greater than that which we feel for ourselves. -.Joseph F. Smith, in Conference Report, Apr. 1916, 2–3; see alsoGospel Doctrine, 5th ed. (1939), 430–31.
"Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see." - C. S. Lewis
-Alicia :)
No comments:
Post a Comment