"Mom, we are so bored!" "Yeah, this day is dumb."
"If you're bored, why don't you try a board game?"
They didn't laugh at my attempt to be punny. "Mom, that's lame." (I smiled at my own joke. I like lame.)
"Maybe you could go outside and skate or ride your bikes?"
"It's too hot outside, Mom!" "Yeah, we'll die out there."
"Well, if you are really desperate for something to do... I could give you some jobs around the house. I've got lots of them." They slouched and rolled their eyes in unison. (All the parents know how well that trick works.)
I suggested Legos, sculpting, reading... and math (I couldn't help it... that last one just slipped out.)
They were beginning to lose their patience and the tone of their voices became more elevated at me and at each other.
I opened the fridge to put some containers away and then remembered I had just boiled a bunch of eggs. I took them out and handed them to the kids. Here's something! Go get my colored permanent markers and decorate these. Smiles returned to their faces, they grabbed the eggs from me and ran off excitedly.
"Hmm, who knew?" I sighed in relief, glad I found something that interested them. "That should hold them for a few minutes at least."
They went to work doodling faces. Soon ideas began to flow and they had out all the pipe cleaners, hot glue, cotton balls, and googly eyes. When I suggested decorating, I didn't expect this... But it was perfect because they now had characters to pretend and act out stories. They giggled and laughed for over two and a half hours as they played with their "new toys."
I'll admit that there are times I've "cracked" under the pressure of my kids begging and pleading for more screen time. But this time I didn't and I'm so glad. The results were "eggs"traordinary! ;)
-Alicia
Here's a few more pictures of my awesome creative kids...
![]() |
| Micah's Military Camp |
| Miriam's "Brain Enchant-O-Tron" |
Micah's Stop Annimation

No comments:
Post a Comment