Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Friday, September 2, 2016

Dear Alexa - August 27th, 2016

Dear Alexa,

Names are always interesting to me.  I love to look up names and search for their origin or meaning.  To me, it can be a source of direction in life.

Alexa is a female form of Alexander, and is sometimes also a short form of Alexandra, both of which come from the Greek, Alexandros. It can be broken down into alexo meaning "to defend" and ander, meaning "man"' making both Alexa and Alexander mean defender of man.

Today as you enter the waters of Baptism you are entering a covenant to take upon yourself a new name.  That new name is Jesus Christ.
For "There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives." (Mosiah 5:8)

And what does Christ's name mean?  
To me it means; Savior, Friend, Redeemer, Helper, Counselor, Light, Truth, Love, Kindness, Compassion, Virtue, Purity, Integrity, Honor, Holiness, Complete and Utter Selflessness, Hope, Grace, Joy, Healer, Forgiveness, The Way Through, The Way Back, The Way Home

Alexa, all your life, since you were very little, you have desired with your whole heart for pure and honest truth, to surround yourself with purity, goodness, and virtue.  Do you remember a couple years ago the summer before school started we had that discussion about the friends we choose and how you ached so much and longed to find friends who you could share these deep desires with, friends you could have spiritual discussions with, and talk about the fuller and richer meaning of life?  Do you remember how you prayed with all your heart for this?  Do you remember the Priesthood Blessing Joseph gave you before that school year?  And do you remember how things unfolded and the new people that miraculously came into your life?  These were the friends and the people you and I and grandma and grandpa had been praying for.  The way your life aligned with these new friends was not a coincidence.  Through this experience, you witnessed a very real and personal Father in Heaven who answered your deep and heart-felt prayer.

President Spencer W. Kimball taught: “God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other.”

And just as much as these friends were an answer to your prayers.  I am confident that you were an answer to theirs.  

Do you remember when you were nervous to take seminary because you were afraid you didn't have enough gospel knowledge or that because you weren't a member, you were afraid you might embarrass yourself or stand out too much? 
 Do you remember what I said?  
I said, "Alexa, you have no idea how much those other students in Seminary will need you.  You WILL stand out, of that I'm sure!  You will stand out because you will be the girl who goes to Seminary without having to be told to, you'll go because you WANT to, because you CHOOSE to... even when you face strong opposition and opinions from others that tell you going to church and seminary is nonsense, that it's foolish, and that you could occupy yourself with better things. Your friends in Seminary will need you not because you are a gospel scholar or have all the answers but because you will be an example to them of immense courage and powerful faith.  You will be a bright light and a beautiful example to them."

Alexa, you have been living with the name of Christ on your heart all of your life, even when you didn't realize it.  But now this sacred ordinance is eternally binding and you are proving to God through covenant and Priesthood authority, which will make His name much powerful in your life.  

Before I close my talk, I want to share one more thought about your name.  Your middle name, "Lee" means something very significant, it means "Shelter"  Why would this be important? Well if "Alexo" or "Alexa" means "Defender" then "Alexa Lee" means  "Defender of the Shelter" I'll explain why that's significant:

The Prophet, Isaiah, speaks of a shelter in reference to the House of the Lord, to the Temple, "And there shall be a tabernacle for a shadow in the daytime from the heat, and for a place of refuge, and for a covert (or shelter) from storm and from rain." - Isaiah 4:6

Baptism is the gate that leads you to that beautiful home away from Home (spelled with a capital H).  There are many in the world who mock the work that goes on in the temple, many who do not understand the sacredness and beauty of how and why we do what we do there. I suppose  someone who has never witnessed a graduation ceremony with processions, robes,caps, and gowns, (you know... ceremonial things we don't see every day) they might find it somewhat strange... 
but we are so used to graduation ceremonies in our culture that we don't even bat an eyelash at them.  The robe, cap, and gown are all symbols of victory and honor.  It's a beautiful thing.  
To be honest, I didn't understand the temple when I first went through but I have gone hundreds of times since and I can stand here and say with all my heart that I love temple. the ordinances, the ceremonies performed, the covenants, the promises pronounced on my head, I love it all!! The temple is my refuge, my safe place, my "shelter" from the storm.

So when you see or hear your name "Alexa Lee"  I want you to think of it as "Defender of the Shelter" or "Defender of the Temple."  You will have plenty of voices and forces that would oppose you and the Temple, many who don't understand that would keep you from this most beautiful place.  But do not let them.  It will never be popular. But it's not about popularity, it's about PURPOSE.   Be strong Alexa Lee, and always defend it.  Defend it by the way you live, by the words you speak, by the example you set, and the choices you make. Renew your covenants you make today each Sunday with the Sacrament.  

Someday, when you build your family, you will strive to make a sacred place within the walls of your own home, your place of shelter.  You will be key in setting the tone of the Spirituality level for your children.  A loving family unit centered on gospel principles is a very real shelter in any community, any place that it is established in the world. Let Alexa Lee also mean "Defender of the Family".

Be the light you have always been but now go forward shining even brighter, more boldly and more confidently, because heaven and earth know and it is recorded in the eternities that you are committed through covenant and endowed with Priesthood power.

Make diligent scripture study, sincere heart-felt prayer, and journal writing  part of your every day life and you will never have to walk in darkness.
I love you Alexa.  I love this gospel.  What you are doing is right.  I know it is true forever and always!
Bless you for your courage, for your faith, we are all cheering you on here today and so are thousands upon thousands of unseen angels.

"Press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."- 2 Nephi 31:20

Love,

Alicia

4 comments:

Ramona Gordy said...

Alicia
The entire summer, I have been listening to the soundtrack to "Alexander Hamilton: An American Musical", and reading his biography and wishing I could go to see the play. For good or for bad, the presentation can be a challenge to most. But there is a song, my sentimental favorite called: Dear Theodosia", sung by the actor Leslie Odoms portraying Aaron Burr. In real life Aaron Burr(Sir) had a daughter,in whom he was enormously proud of, and was inspired to be a better man, a good father to. I love the verses where he promises to "make it right", as far as making or at least trying to make a better world for her to live in. So I have the link for you. He promised his daughter in the song, that she would "Blow us all away", and if you read her biography, she was a real go getter, a woman before her time, Theodosia Burr, another strong woman with an ambiguous name , I love your talk, your love shines through.
https://youtu.be/8DjutSd1tXo

Alicia Rawlins said...

Thank you, Ramona. I've never heard of that musical. It sounds very interesting though because I truly love American history. I like that Aaron Burr's daughter inspired him to be a better man. My niece inspires me to be a better person for the sheer fact that she thinks I'm better than I really am.

Ramona Gordy said...

Hi Alicia
The musical is based on a biography of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernov. A playwright named Lin Manuel Miranda read the book while on vacation and was inspired to tell the story with a diverse cast of actors, and hip hop, soul, r&b music was used to tell the story.
When I first heard of this, I was not too impressed because I really don't like a lot of the hip hop, but Lin Manuel Miranda decided to make a cast album so that anyone could enjoy the music and learn about Alexander Hamilton. You can find the cast album on you tube and I think you will appreciate and come away with a totally unique perspective on "who lives, who dies, who shares your story". The take away is that "the spirit of Elijah" is present in this work, in the life and lives of all who have been touched by it. So many good things have spawned from this effort, most important, an infusion of money and time in jr & sr high school programs.
So in rap vernacular Alexander Hamilton is the 10 dollar scholar, he was an immigrant, self made man. He was killed in a duel by Aaron Burr, The government decided to keep A.Ham on the 10.00 bill because of the musical.But I think the biggest inspiration was that his story was told, his descendants were identified. There is a good spirit surrounding the story and you can feel it in the music.

Alicia Rawlins said...

That's so awesome! How could there not be a good spirit when the Spirit of Elijah is present?! It's neat to see generations affected for good, finding strength and finding hope from sharing the stories of those who have gone before. It sounds like a cool musical.