Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Names

It was a little rough trying to get the kids to sleep.  My two foster children are still adjusting but I think tonight went better than last night.   I've heard from training that whatever age you get your foster children, they bond with you in similar stages as newborns.  The youngest we have is turning three in a couple weeks.  She won't sleep unless I lay with her.  She rolls over and nestles her head on my chest so she can hear my heart beating.  She wants to lay on me the same way my newborns did. I always loved that so it feels comfortable for me.

Tonight, after I finally got the younger one asleep. I walked into the bedroom of the older foster child. sat at his bedside, and chatted with him for a while.  I did the same last night too.  He doesn't feel comfortable with me touching him and that's to be expected. No back scratches for now, but I discovered that letting him have conversations with me, letting him ask questions, sort-of almost rocks him to sleep with words.

Tonight, we got on the topic of names and their meanings.  He asked what all my children's names meant.  He asked what mine meant... I said, "Alicia means queenly, truthful, or noble."
"I don't see a crown on your head," he responded.
"No, you're right."
"What does your middle name mean?"
"My middle name is Ruth and it means friend."
"Hmm" he paused for a moment. "What does my name mean?" He asked inquisitively pointing to himself.
"I don't know, I'll have to look it up,"I said.
"Can you look it up now?"
"Sure, I'll be right back."
I went to the computer and searched his name and returned with a smile on my face.
"What does my name mean?" He asked me again.
"It's really cool. You'll like it."
"Really!" He sat up again, eager to hear.
I winked at him, "It means, 'Prince' and your middle name means 'bright and shining. So, you are a bright and shining prince."
His eyes danced with delight. "Does my name really mean prince?"
I nodded.
"I want to go search all my friends names and see what they mean. Can I do it now?"
"No, it's past 11:30... but that would be something we could do tomorrow."
I stepped out of his room and wished the bright and shining prince goodnight.
He tucked back under his covers and shyly peeked at me. He's cute.

-Alicia

 

No comments: