Today was rough. Every child tests their boundaries.
I'm bonding really well with the younger foster child but I'm struggling with the older one. I know that most of his rude and obnoxious behavior is normal in his mind and just habitual from the environment he's been used to all his life. We're not used to it though... and I guess he's trying to see how far we'll deal with it. He has very little regard for authority or personal space. He's a good kid, just most of his poor behavior comes from a lack of understanding of how to have appropriate interactions.
We were supposed to have family night tonight but things fell apart. I think Micah has been holding a lot of his emotions in and tonight they surfaced--stinging, raw, exposed. My heart went out to him because I know he's been using every effort to not yell out in frustration with his new roommate. My heart also went out to our foster son because the poor kid's life is in pieces. He doesn't want to be here, he wants his family back, and he's terrified!
We want to be refined and this is definitely refining. I'm exhausted. Joseph is exhausted. We look at each other and wonder what on earth we've gotten ourselves into. All we can do is hold on and keep moving forward, one foot in front of the other. I pray: Lord, give us strength!
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment