-Alicia
View the first post:
Aunt Sylvia - Part 1
Walk With Me
"Further Glimpses of Camp Life"
In a few months another 350 prisoners were added to our camp, and we were scarcely settled when we were moved again. Although some conditions seemed improved. Yet the ever constant and more crowding living conditions seemed unbearable.
In our new quarters we were in an open room with a bamboo wall for privacy; but there was truly no privacy for conversation or freedom from ears or eyes of other families in the house. Our daily living habits were often misconstrued and criticised. Yet as Christians we could not be conformed to the general living conditions around us. At one time I became ill and was transferred to the hospital room, leaving the boys with one whom I had regarded as our best friend in camp. During the time she cared for them she taught them much contrary to Christian teaching, which made it very difficult for me when I returned.
Things grew worse and worse until I felt I could endure it no longer. Since no one could move because there was no vacant place, the Lord Himself was the only One to whom I could turn for the solution to my problem. I cried unto Him in my distress daring not to talk to anyone about it. Again, I was brought to the place of rejoicing in the fires, praising Him for who He is and believing that He was working on our behalf, in spite of evident conditions. Soon afterwards, one of the officials in charge of the office was changed and the Lord led me to approach the new lady. The Lord gave us favor before her, and I was told she would try another place. He did this "exceedingly abundantly," and I was given the best place I had ever had in camp. One of the women in that house was a Christian. Although she spoke no English, we had a heart fellowship in Christ. What a blessed relief it was to be alone in one room with the boys again, and not to have the whole house interfering in everything we did. Truly "the Lord hath His way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of His feet." (Nahum 1:3)
"Scarcity of Food"
About this time the food began to be scarce. The food was usually inadequate. We could no longer buy little extras. The quantity of rice was reduced to about half a cup per day. We committed it to the Lord to make it like the manna; if we had little or much, it would be sufficient for the present need. Also the bread was reduced and was of poor quality, We asked Him to multiply it-- to make it serve as a bite between meals so the stomach was not empty for so long. We learned "how to abound and to suffer hunger." The sugar and oil were so scarce it was impossible to keep enough. I used three cups for six or eight months. Yet I fried something every day, either rice balls or sago pancakes. This seemed to be more satisfying than just to boil the food. People would ask, "How do you make the oil last so long?
How do you fry with so little?
Is it your pan?"
I answered, "It is the Lord, for I can do it with any pan."
It was wonderful how God helped to meet the need. Many, when given a three days' supply, could not resist temptation, and ate it all in two days. They had no control over their appetites. No matter how little the ration was, we felt it best to have it regularly. Many would come to borrow oil, sugar, or peppers from me. I prayed that for a testimony and for His name's sake I might be able to help others. I praise Him for the blessing of sharing the little things in times of dire need.
-Aunt Sylvia
No comments:
Post a Comment