![]() |
| Photo taken Jan. 5, 2015 |
One day as he was walking by, we both ran out to him. Lou stopped in his tracks and acted as if he hadn't seen me in years, "I was just looking up at your window and wondering what you might be doing right now... and here you are!!" I hugged him and replied, "Well, I was just thinking how I needed something to cheer me up and there you were."
Honestly though, if ever I am down or feeling discouraged about anything, I love to visit my dear friend. I remember one time this last January or February I got a horrible hack-job for a hair cut. I was so embarrassed. I wanted to get my mind off how unattractive I felt. I decided to make a treat for Lou and pay him a visit. Surely, he would make me feel better. He was grateful to see me and noticed my butchered new doo. (I may have drawn attention to it by the insecure way I kept waving my hands near my head and apologizing for my appearance.) Bless his pace-maker heart, he offered to buy me a wig! He was so sincere. It made me feel better in a way that I hadn't expected. Here this sweet man practically begged as he tried to console me, insisting he would get me a wig as soon as the next day. I couldn't help but laugh out loud. The manner of his consolation was absolutely hilarious and took me completely off guard - like someone trying to comfort a huge fat woman by begging to buy her a beautiful moo moo. I gratefully refused his offer and told him I'd stick with beanies and bandanas for a while. Even typing this makes me smile. That was a moment definitely worth holding in my memory.
Yesterday, we visited for nearly two hours. I recalled the talks in Sacrament Meeting about gratitude. This is why I love being around Lou... If there was ever a man who personified such a virtue, it's him. He always seems to find the good in every situation, even though he's had so many struggles. He lost his wife when he was 69 yrs. old. He remarried and lost his second wife 3 years ago. All of which I know has brought him enormous heartache but he never mentions it. When he speaks of his life, his wife, his children, and grandchildren, he always does so with soulful appreciation. I know he gets very lonely and I know his back and feet are in constant pain and yet every other word that comes out of his mouth is "thank you" and "wonderful." How can one not be inspired by such a person?
-Alicia

No comments:
Post a Comment