Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

When You Believe - Ponderize - Week 7

Here's my verse for the week:

 "If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done.  And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me" 

And this quote from Elder Holland goes with the scripture perfectly.  
I love how he says, "this is how worlds are created."

"Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ—that is the first principle of the gospel. We must go forward, as it says in K. Newell Dayley’s hymn commemorating our pioneers of the past, 'with faith in ev’ry footstep.'  But like those pioneers, you do have to keep taking them—one step and then another and then the next. That is how tasks are accomplished, that is how goals are achieved, and that is how frontiers are conquered. In more divine language, that is how worlds are created and it is how your world will be created.

God expects you to have enough faith and determination and enough trust in Him to keep moving, keep living, keep rejoicing. In fact, He expects you not simply to face the future (that sounds pretty grim and stoic); He expects you to embrace and shape the future—to love it and rejoice in it and delight in your opportunities.

God is anxiously waiting for the chance to answer your prayers and fulfill your dreams, just as He always has. But He can’t if you don’t pray, and He can’t if you don’t dream. In short, He can’t if you don’t believe." - Terror, Triumph, and a Wedding Feast -BYU Devotional Sept. 2004, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

-Alicia

2 comments:

Ramona Gordy said...

Great verse Alicia
I have wondered is Nephi being rhetorical? Is is asking a question, or marveling that as in Paul's words "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me?"
I have been pondering over Paul's word's and I was lead to what should have been obvious but just like Nephi, it wasn't obvious to me. I am learning that Jesus Christ is the perfect example, by his very attributes, of "strength" Galatians 5:22-23;concerning the fruits of the Spirit, for example love, joy, peace etc. I am surprised at how many times I have read these verses with no understanding, but like a puzzle, they are coming together. When we receive Christ , we receive the power to become son's and daughters of Christ. What does that mean? We take on those attributes, the gifts of the Spirit, those "gifts" that are tokens and attributes that the Savior exhibited and manifested his entire life on earth, and because of this, he was strengthened and sustained even unto death, and God saw fit to exalt him on his right hand of power. This is what it means to "become" Amen

Alicia Rawlins said...

Ramona, thank you. I really appreciate how you tied in the gifts of the Spirit to being that which enables us to have the strength necessary to do all that is required of us. It must be done with these gifts that come from Christ otherwise we could send ourselves into a very wrong direction.

C.S. Lewis emphasized this when he said,
"Perfect love, we know, casteth out fear. But so do several other things - ignorance, alcohol, passion, presumption, and stupidity. It is very desirable that we should all advance to that perfection of love in which we shall fear no longer; but it is very undesirable, until we have reached that stage, that we should allow any inferior agent to cast out our fear." - (The World's Last Night by, C.S. Lewis)