We passed the duck pond and made our way to the stairs. My 14-yr-old son and I chatted as we walked arm in arm and I laid my head on his shoulder. "Don't you think ducks are funny? I mean, God must have a really great sense of humor. The way ducks walk is one thing but listen to them when they quack. Doesn't it sound like they're all sitting around cracking jokes?"
Chandler listened as another duck erupted into wild silly laughter. He looked down at me and smiled with a nod of agreement.
We reached the top of the hill and my children bolted in two different directions. The younger three wanted to climb on the white fan-like concrete Tree of Wisdom, while my oldest sauntered off to have some time alone. I sat on the steps of the Science building where I could catch the last rays of warm sunlight before it slipped beneath the horizon. I could see my children playing in the distance. I picked up my scriptures I had brought along with me and began to turn the pages.
My mind was in another place as I drifted off in thought, "It's hard to believe we've lived here for seven-and-a-half years. We've never lived anywhere longer than two. I love this beautiful place. How many times have I taken the children to play on this campus just to be a little closer to Joseph while he studied? It has been the perfect playground for them. Where does the time go? They've all practically grown up here. I love the feeling that resides in this place and all the experiences we've shared as a family on this campus. We've learned so much. Through my husband's schooling, we learned to live on very little but it never felt small. So often Joseph would worry about our circumstances and I'd reassure him "Honey, I live better than a queen, we all live like royalty. Everything is wonderful."
I looked out again across the campus to where my children were still climbing. I smiled and began to say a silent prayer of gratitude. I glanced down at my opened scriptures again and thought "I'd better read while I still have a moment to myself." Turning aimlessly through the pages of the New Testament my eyes fell on verse 13 of Philippians 4 (our family scripture) "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." I love this simple truth. I know that through my Savior, I can and will make it through all things that are required of me. My eyes scanned up to verse 11, "For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." I stopped and thought about the word, "content." It seems to be such a peaceful word: No fear, no anxiety... no want. I read the verse again, "For I have learned." How ironic that my education has only just begun here and yet I feel I've already had some wonderful life-lessons. "I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."
Contentment is so closely tied to gratitude. It is truly the key to peace. I pondered some more. "Have I truly learned to be content? No, there are still things I want that I may never obtain... and no matter how I try to suppress them, the desires remain like a lingering hunger."
I read verse 12 -"I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." I am certain this hunger I struggle with won't last forever. I trust that if I'm patient the Lord will fill the void as I continue to learn the principles of gratitude and contentment. Being thankful is really the key.
My eyes moved up the page to verses 6&7; "Be careful for nothing [or don't be excessively concerned about anything, don't worry]; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding shall keep [hold together] your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Again I read the words "supplication with thanksgiving."
It sounded like an oxymoron, to beg but at the same time be grateful.
I guess in my mind I assume that if I'm grateful then I won't ask for anything. It must mean that our hearts are thankful for the ability to take our crys and longings to the One who is fit to carry us through them. After all, it is "Christ which strengtheneth" us.
How can I be strong in this?
Psalm 23 began to play in my head and I could hear the Tabernacle Choir sing, "My Shepherd will supply my need. Jehovah is His name." As I imagined myself joining the alto section full of heart and soul. I glanced across the column to verse 19, "God shall supply all your need...." Perfect. Just perfect. I love it when thoughts and scripture sync like that.
I said another silent prayer. The sun had set and I began to shiver from the cold.
I picked up my scriptures and called for my children. As I headed back home and took in the sights around me, I pondered again, "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." I know I haven't fully learned this yet.... but I'm getting there. Eventually, I will get there... but I often need reminders. So this is my verse for the week, sweet and simple.
-Alicia
P.S.
I found this in a talk today. I love it because it fits perfectly with all that I've been thinking of. I am so richly blessed. God is generous and good. I have right here and now far more than I deserve.
I read verse 12 -"I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." I am certain this hunger I struggle with won't last forever. I trust that if I'm patient the Lord will fill the void as I continue to learn the principles of gratitude and contentment. Being thankful is really the key.
My eyes moved up the page to verses 6&7; "Be careful for nothing [or don't be excessively concerned about anything, don't worry]; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding shall keep [hold together] your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Again I read the words "supplication with thanksgiving."
It sounded like an oxymoron, to beg but at the same time be grateful.
I guess in my mind I assume that if I'm grateful then I won't ask for anything. It must mean that our hearts are thankful for the ability to take our crys and longings to the One who is fit to carry us through them. After all, it is "Christ which strengtheneth" us.
How can I be strong in this?
Psalm 23 began to play in my head and I could hear the Tabernacle Choir sing, "My Shepherd will supply my need. Jehovah is His name." As I imagined myself joining the alto section full of heart and soul. I glanced across the column to verse 19, "God shall supply all your need...." Perfect. Just perfect. I love it when thoughts and scripture sync like that.
I said another silent prayer. The sun had set and I began to shiver from the cold.
I picked up my scriptures and called for my children. As I headed back home and took in the sights around me, I pondered again, "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." I know I haven't fully learned this yet.... but I'm getting there. Eventually, I will get there... but I often need reminders. So this is my verse for the week, sweet and simple.
-Alicia
P.S.
I found this in a talk today. I love it because it fits perfectly with all that I've been thinking of. I am so richly blessed. God is generous and good. I have right here and now far more than I deserve.
"Isn’t it ironic... that we will often travel many miles to see the wonders of nature or the creations of man, but yet ignore the beauty in our own backyard?
It is human nature, I suppose, to seek elsewhere for our happiness. Pursuit of career goals, wealth, and material rewards can cloud our perspective and often leads to a lack of appreciation for the bounteous blessings of our present circumstances.
It is precarious to dwell on why we have not been given more. It is, however, beneficial and humbling to dwell on why we have been given so much.
An old proverb states, 'The greater wealth is contentment with a little.'"
No comments:
Post a Comment