"Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out not knowing whither he went." - Hebrews 11:8
It can be so hard to step out and move forward "not knowing" ...
and yet, I feel like it's the story of my life!
I take comfort in the scriptures though. Just this morning I read Moroni 7 and Hebrews 11. Both speak of miracles that are brought about by faith. In Paul's letter to the Hebrews, he lists several prophets who were given great promises. They lived faithful and true to every commandment of the Lord believing that those promises would one day be fulfilled. Yet, verse 13 of Hebrew's says that, "these all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them..." And then verse 29 states again, "these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise."
"In a sense all of us are in the middle of our own novels, our own life stories. Sometimes our stories feel very intense, and we would like to read ahead to know our own end, to make sure that everything is going to turn out all right. While we don’t know the particular details of our life’s experiences, fortunately we do know something about our futures, if we live worthily.
We are given this insight in Doctrine and Covenants 90:24 [D&C 90:24]: 'Search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good, if ye walk uprightly.'... Sometimes we see immediate fulfillment of the promise. Other times we plead for years before we see the desired promises fulfilled. Sometimes, as with faithful Abraham, we may embrace the promises but die “in faith, not having received the promises” (Heb. 11:13) while on earth. While it may be true in some instances that our promised blessings will be fulfilled only in the eternities, it is also true that as we search, pray, and believe, we will often recognize things working together for our good in this life.... " - Susan W. Tanner
Sometimes, I desperately want to read ahead in my own story to see if the promises that have been revealed to me will ever occur on this earth or if they are only to be given somehow in heaven. I understand that it is better for me not to know. I get that if it were shown to me, I would no longer have the struggles that are necessary to deepen and strengthen my faith. Just gotta keep moving one step in front of the other "not knowing" the details of my own story but knowing full well and trusting that God does... and I'd say He's a pretty dang good author.
-Alicia
6 comments:
Hi Alicia
Your posts seem to inspire me to dig into the scriptures more and more these days. I am in agreement with your sentiments. In my life, I feel that a "door" is opened, and I am proceeding there, with only the most basic of clues. I know that I am on this journey temporal as well as spiritual. I know there is a limit on time and there is much I need to tie up while it is "now". I am waiting for further instructions.
That word "know, knowing, knowledge" is a metaphor for water, flowing from a pure source. The outpouring of the Spirit, who brings (all things) pertaining to life and godliness to our remembrance, our knowing.
I wonder if Abraham "knew" the way, as Jesus said to his disciples "The way I go, you know". But in Abraham, he followed not the "crooked path of the world to get to his destination, but allowed his footsteps to be guided, to walk in godliness.
The "way" we are going, you know, and I know. But each according to his faith, how much can be revealed in a manner of time.
xoxoxo
That's cool, Ramona! Where did you learn that "know, knowing, and knowledge" is a metaphor for water? I like that a lot! I love discovering parallels and symbolism that shed new light on things.
Hey Alica
I was literally led on a tangent one day, after reading this scripture and I had a hunch that to know is to be filled. We hunger and thirst after what the Righteous One gives us.
2 Nephi 9:50
"Come" my brethren; everyone who thirsts, "Come" ye to the waters...
He that hath no money, "Come" ye to the waters; and he that hath no money, "Come" buy and eat, yea "Come buy wine and milk without money and without price.
Jesus was definitely a foodie: Wine, milk, bread, water and honey. An example, some prophets were symbolically given their call, first by the cleansing of their lips with hot coals, Ezekiel and then reading a scroll and eating the scroll which tasted like honey.
Jesus dropping knowledge..
Isaiah spoke in code, but that word "Come", an invite from the Savior:Come into the fold. How? Everyone who thirsts,
"Those (everyone) who spiritually hungers and thirsts shall be "filled".
Filled, a pouring out of the spirit, filled to overflowing, good measure pressed down.
Isaiah 41:17 The afflicted and needy are seeking water, but there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst; I the Lord will answer them Myself...
"Come" ye to the waters (of baptism) Isaiah 1:16 wash you, make you clean....
Water is a metaphor for truth and knowledge. Jesus refers to himself as a fountain of pure waters. Jesus is the true vine, such vines are 100% water based and nourish the tender vines growing in the mother vine.
Jesus said to the Samaritan woman at the well: Whoever drinks the water that I shall give him, shall never thirst..
In the book of Mormon two types of knowledge are represented by water: worldly knowledge represented by the "river of filthy water", and pure knowledge, represented by the pure stream of water flowing from the Tree of Life
The Lord equated "knowledge" as peace and understanding. Peace I give to you, not the world peace. Knowledge of the Holy as we can apply it to our life and then be nourished and guided by it.
This is really fun to think about and you have my brain going on several patterns I'm seeing.
know/ knowledge = water (as in the context of "all ye that thirst... and I will give you drink") waters of baptism. Also, "windows of heaven... pour you out a blessing"
I wrote a post on my other blog called "To Know God" http://theartoflosingself.blogspot.com/2015/01/to-know-god.html
And I also wrote a post once called "Water and Rock" http://theartoflosingself.blogspot.com/2015/02/water-and-rock.html
And then this one about Self Emptying... http://theartoflosingself.blogspot.com/2015/05/kenosis.html
I'm not suggesting you go and read all of these but with these in mind, it causes me to think more about Eve in the Garden of Eden and the Tree of Knowledge. Wow, lots to think about in symbolism.
I think Christ used food a lot in His teachings to speak to us about appetite. Not just appetite concerning things we eat but ALL of our mortal appetites, desires, and passions. This is all very fascinating!
Awesome Alicia
I will check these out. I think that the answer to Eve's prayer was in
Joel 2:29 ( And in "those days" upon my handmaids,(the daughters of Eve will qualify)
"I will" ( a promise kept) pour out my Spirit. Dropping knowledge
(ref Sister Becks talk and place yourself in Eve's shoes, standing at the tree reaching for that fruit.)
Joel 2:29
28"It will come about after this That I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind; And your sons and daughters will prophesy, Your old men will dream dreams, Your young men will see visions. 29"Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days.
I love those scriptures in Joel!!
Post a Comment