"There was a flood,
And many poor men were killed.
And that is why
Our house is built on the top of a hill."
- Neil Diamond "I Am the Lion"
The nostalgic sweet sound of the "Tap Root Manuscript Album" entertained my children as they played and cleaned up dishes. I sat in the corner of the kitchen only partially focused on my finance homework. My mind kept drifting to memories of a younger me cleaning the house while dancing and singing to the very same music. I could see it was having an equivalent effect on my daughter, Kaylee, by the flare of playfulness accentuating and enlivening her movements as she worked. I laughed to myself as I thought, "There are two types of people in the world, those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't,"
...I happen to love him!!
My daughter giggled as she danced and said, "Mommy, play that 'Hey Hey' song again." I smiled because that's how I remembered it too. We must have listened to it a good six or seven times over. The words about a flood and a house on the top of the hill caused me to reflect back to another song from my formative years, "The wise man built his house upon a rock... and the house on the rock stood firm."
I read the word "firm" in my scripture study this morning. After the Lamanite people of Ammon were converted and joined with the Nephites in the land of Jershon, and after they had "buried their weapons of war" it says in Alma 27:27 that they were "distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end."
What does it mean to be "firm?"
"fixed, settled, determined, steadfast, unyielding, unalterable"
I searched for the word "firm" in the Book of Mormon and found that every time it was referenced in the context of righteousness. I noticed that it was often related to faith through mind, heart, or action.
Try plugging in the synonyms of firm into these scriptures... It's pretty cool!
1 Nephi 2 "firm and steadfast, and immovable"
Jacob 3:1,2 "firmness of mind"
Jacob 4:18 "firmness in the spirit"
Alma 24:19 "They were firm"
Alma 27:27 "Firm in the faith"
Alma 29:4 "Firm decree of a just God"
Alma 34:41 "Firm hope"
Alma 48:13 "Firm in the faith"
Alma 49:13 "Firm determination"
Alma 57:19-20, 27 "Firm before their enemies" "Firm and undaunted" "their minds are firm"
Helaman 6:1 "firmness and steadiness in the faith"
Helaman 7:7 "Firm to keep the commandments of God"
Helaman 15:8, 10 "Firm and steadfast in the faith" "Their firmness when they are once enlightened"
3 Nephi 6:14 "They were firm"
Mormon 2: 25 "We did stand before them with such firmness"
Mormon 9:28 "ask [God] with a firmness unshaken"
Moroni 7: 30 "a firm mind in every form of godliness"
I thoroughly enjoy expanding scriptures in my mind like this. I testify of the sweet truths found therein!. I hope to inspire others to do the same.
Now, you're probably wondering how on earth I started out from a verse of Neil Diamond to verses in the Book of Mormon... and I kinda wonder about that myself... Oh well.
I'll tell you this though... I'm no "Holly Holy" but I guess you could "Say Maybe" that through my blog, I have my own little "Traveling Salvation Show" - Only difference is, you don't need to call me "Sister Love" or "pack up the babies and grab the old ladies"...
Although...I kinda like the sound of "Sister Love." ;)
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment