Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Monday, July 27, 2015

A Greater Measure of the Spirit

I wrote this post almost a week ago but didn't publish it... It has just been sitting on the side as a draft and I almost forgot I had written it until I was reminded about these principles in my religion class today.  How desperately do we want the Spirit to guide us in our lives?  I love the intent and desire in the hearts of the disciples in 3 Nephi 19.  If you could ask God for anything, what would it be?  These men desired most of all to have the Holy Ghost.  (3 Nephi 19:9)  How is this obtained?  How can we know we are being guided by the Spirit?

When you scan through this chapter, the word "pray" is mentioned twenty-eight times.  It's found in 22 of the 36 verses and if you include the verses that are referencing prayer but don't necessarily say the word, then it is found in 26 of the 36 verses.  I love discoveries like this!

 When the resurrected Lord ministered unto the ancient inhabitants of this land, He gave the sermon on the mount, He administered the sacrament more than once, many were baptized, and He taught and exemplified a very clear pattern of prayer.

The Lord calls twelve disciples who are baptized in His name and they are blessed with the power of His Spirit (3 Ne.19:4,9-13). As they kneel to pray, the Savior's "countenance did smile upon them, and the light of His countenance did shine upon them" (3 Nephi 19:25).  Now this is so cool because something happened to the disciples as they were praying...  They began to shine! "behold, they were as white as the countenance and also the garments of Jesus."
The Savior recognized this and thanks the Father in prayer saying, "I thank thee that thou hast purified those who I have chosen, because of their faith." (19:28)  They were shining because they were purified!

Let's look at that word "purified."
Purified = free from anything that debases, pollutes, cheapens, or contaminates.
sanctified, made holy, set apart, consecrated.

This is what they desired with all of their souls.  This is what they plead and prayed for! (19:24)
Do we desire this too?  How do we obtain it?  Christ says we can.  He says that as we hearken and believe on the words of these twelve we will also be purified, "Father, I thank thee that thou hast purified those whom I have chosen, because of their faith, and I pray for them, and also for them who shall believe on their words, that they may be purified in me, through faith on their words, even as they are purified in me."(19:28)

This solidifies to me the necessity to be aligned with the Bretheren! They are true messengers.

Can you imagine what that must have been like to witness, to be in the presence of, to see with our own eyes and hear with our own ears, prayers offered by the Savior Himself and His twelve disciples?!  "And the mulitude did hear and do bear record; and their hearts were open and they did understand in their hearts the words which He prayed... so great and marvelous were the words which He prayed that they cannot be written, neither can they be uttered by man." (19:33,34)

After this chapter the Savior administers the sacrament again.  Christ has declared that He is the "Bread of life" (John 6:35)  He gives this bread to the twelve and "when they had eaten He commanded them that they should break bread, and give unto the multitude." And He does the same with the wine. (3 Nephi 20:4-7)

This is significant because the sacrament has everything to do with sanctification and purification.  If we listen to the words of the prayer, we learn that this renewal of our covenants, this re-committing ourselves, opens us to refinement, that we may "always have His spirit" to be with us. (Moroni 4:3 5:2)

Prayer is a powerful, powerful tool.  It is an expression of faith!
I believe that the everyday prayers, morning and night, and the heart-felt ones in-between, all throughout our week, help to prepare us for the sacred ordinance of the the sacrament on the Sabbath.  I believe that when our desire is the the same as those twelve disciples, our hearts will be receptive.  We will hunger and thirst for His spirit to always be with us, we will be open to the words of the disciples He has chosen.  Their teachings will become our daily bread, they will become part of our very being, and we will be filled!

- Alicia


No comments: