My best friend was called to be the new Young Women's President a few months ago. The morning she was called she was asked to speak a few words to the congregation. As she stood, I saw a powerful woman, a spiritual giant who has been an incredible example to me. I couldn't help but cry tears of joy! She is as President Uchtdorf describes as one of those "wonderful and blessed souls who [is] truly good and without guile."
Later that afternoon, as the young women trickled into the classroom and before the new presidency arrived, one of the girls said with sort of a sigh, "I'm not happy about this change. I don't know her."
I imediately responded with excitement, "Oh, don't you worry, as you get to know her, you will LOVE her, absolutely love her!" Then I asked if she had seen the recent movie with Ben Stiller, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty."
"Yes."
"Well, you remember how the photographer, Sean O'connell, is at the top of a mountain trying to get a photograph of the snow leopard, or 'ghost cat.' He tells Walter that his discovery is a big deal because 'ghost cats' are extremely difficult to find, they don't show themselves to people or try to make themselves known... and then there's that awesome line...
Beautiful things don't ask for attention."
"Yeah, I remember that part of the movie," the young woman answered.
"Well that's how Sister Nimer is. She is one of the most amazing, most thoughtful, most giving friends I have ever had and yet she would never assume that."
How beautiful is a person who is genuine, who never needs to boast who never needs to draw attention to themselves! They are content quietly fulfilling their responsibilities. They do so honorably often giving credit to others and are constantly grateful to God. This rare beauty isn't found in fashion magazines, or re-pinned on pintrest. It can't be bought or sold. It's not paraded or pretended. It comes from purity of heart, from real intent, and deep humility.
"In a world where praise, position, power, accolades, and authority are sought on every side, I honor those wonderful and blessed souls who are truly good and without guile, those who are motivated by a love of God and their neighbors, those great women and men who are 'more anxious to serve than to have dominion.'" - Elder Michael T. Ringwood
- Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment