Fear can be paralyzing. It can cause us to distance ourselves from family, from friends, and even from God. It can cause unnecessary pain and stir up emotions of hurt, regret, disconnect, and shame. We all have fears but it doesn't do any good to run from them. Fear is the complete opposite of faith and it grows nothing but discord.
I won't deny it, I have my own fears. I discovered that we will be placed with our foster kids in one week. I knew it was coming but I didn't think it would be this soon. I want so desperately to help these children without making things too difficult for my own. I confided in my dear friend, Suzanne, last night about all my fears. She hugged me and reassured me that our family would do a fine job. I was so grateful for her faith in me in that moment. I really needed it. Joseph has been a wonderful support too and has faced all of this with tremendous optimism these past couple of weeks. I know we will both rely on the Lord to get us through. He is going to be such a wonderful foster father.
I searched some talks on BYU this morning about fear and found some great words by Lloyd Newell. I share this with anyone else who might struggle with fear. Don't shame yourself for it. Get back up and move on. Today is a brand-new day, rely on the power endowed in us through Christ for, "perfect love casteth out fear." (1 John 4:18)
-Alicia
"I, like you, have fears, and I need to be reminded at times to fear not. I don’t know what your fears are. Like Zacharias, who feared that he would never have children, you may have fears about your family. Or maybe your fear isn’t that you won’t have children but that you will have children, whom you will have to raise in a toxic world increasingly hostile to families. Like Mary, you may have an assignment or responsibility that seems far beyond your abilities. Like Joseph, you may fear getting married—or that you will never get married. Like the shepherds, you may be 'sore afraid' when your peaceful and simple life is disrupted because God has plans for you that are bigger than what you have for yourself.
Life presents endless opportunities to fear. We may fear what people think of us. We may fear failure or rejection. We may be afraid of changes we know we must make in our lives. Or maybe we are just afraid of next week’s final exams. We may experience failure or rejection and wonder if we have what it takes. We may have financial fears, educational and career fears, or fears of public speaking, snakes, or spiders. Yes, we live in a beautiful world—but it can be scary out there!
...I did not come here to frighten you, and you did not come here to be reminded of your fears. We all long for more of God’s peace and strength in the midst of the stresses and difficulties of life.
The Lord’s message to you today is the same message He sent through His angels so long ago: 'Fear not.' He can say that because He knows more than we do. He sees what we cannot see. He knows what is coming, and, in the eternal scheme of things, it is not as bad as we may think. He knows that we can handle it with His help because He knows how to strengthen and 'succor' us. (Alma 7:11-12)"- Lloyd Newell
2 comments:
Alicia Hi, so glad to say hello
I love how the Savior addresses fear, and after all of these years in life, of reading it, I have finally come to an understanding of "fear". Jesus says to his disciples and us, Fear not, be not afraid, I have overcome the world. When his disciples asked him to tell of the signs of the end, and the sign of when he was to return. He gave a laundry list of all the worlds problems, bad weather, economic and secret combo's. But in the last verse he said, "But that is not the end," and" the end will not come until my gospel is preached to the ends of the earth, then the end will come". Jesus said," I am the Alpha and the Omega, I know the end from the beginning. So Fear Not.
Everything that we are faced with is part of patterns, signs, that evolve in their intensity depending on our response to them. Jesus was the sign to the Nephites, he is also our sign. His pattern of life, of faith, of obedience, of overcoming obstacles by his faith in the father. Just think, you and your family have the opportunity to share the gospel with a new generation. To teach a new generation the love of family, the sacredness of marriage as God has ordained.The love of Christ. No wonder he said Fear not, I have overcome the world,and if he overcame, then we look to his pattern, to overcome with faith, and love and being unstoppable in the love of Christ.
I know this to be true, every time I am overwhelmed by the dailiness of life, I look to the Father and he never leaves me comfortless and without hope. The Lord has given us all
things that pertain to life and godliness. We got this Alicia.
I love you, Ramona, thank you! I discovered this morning that the children will be placed permanently in our home this Friday.
I've been in touch with the other foster mom who has adopted all of these two kid's many older siblings. She sent me a picture of them all dressed in white in front of the Temple for their sealing date. I spent over an hour talking to her on the phone yesterday. She found me on facebook and friended me. There, I can see all the pictures of the siblings. They are beautiful, beautiful children!! She scrolled through my posts on facebook and said she felt like she has known me for a very long time. Oh Ramona, It was so comforting to talk with her.
When I got the news of Friday being the placement date this morning, fear flooded my heart and overwhelmed me to tears. I've been crying all day today.
I've been told by those who have gone before that foster care is an extremely emotional and heart-wrenching journey. This other foster mom is so inspired and sent me the most beautiful text this morning that reached out to me like a warm embrace across thousands of miles. I feel so incredibly comforted knowing that this dear sister of mine will be there to help me through this terrifying, miraculous, and exciting journey.
Ramona, thank you for your testimony, your faith, and your prayers too. I am going to need them! Love you!!
Post a Comment