Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

A Day in the Life

I spent most of yesterday just boxing and organizing the kids rooms.  It has felt really good to finally go through things and sort out what we can get rid of.  I've secretly wanted to have a good strong purge of all our stuff before our foster kids were placed with us and this forced-move has been a wish granted in that way.

We looked at a house last night that we made an offer on.  It's not "far away in the west".  It's actually east... about nine blocks east and five blocks south.  But when you're a Mormon living in Utah that means a completely new Ward and Stake.  I actually think it could be in the Ward my dear friend, Lou Crandall, attends.  He said he has been so worried about me since he heard the news and has been praying for me every day, praying that we can stay close.   It's his 87th birthday today.  I wish he were doing well.  His health has been fading this past week and he is very sick.  He's been in and out of the hospital.  I called to send him birthday wishes.  He could barely talk...   I certainly hope he pulls through.

Today has been good so far.  My younger brother called and we talked for a while.  I love it when Kenneth calls.  He's such a good guy.  He and his wife will be having their second child soon, Lily will finally have a little brother.  Kenneth told me all about the housing market in Texas and tried to convince me to move down there.  It would be so nice to be close to him. Chances are that will never happen though... but I'm so glad he and I can spend hours talking on the phone catching up with each other.

My best friend, Suzanne, took me out to lunch this afternoon.  She said when she found out that we were having to move it seemed as if her heart dropped like a lead ball into her stomach.  I said I felt the same way.  We talked for some time about what a great area this is.  The people here are our family, we have made strong bonds and deep attachments with them! Of course talking about how much we both love this place caused the tears to well up in my eyes again and I had to use all my Zupa napkins like Kleenexes.  Maybe the people around me didn't notice or maybe they just thought, "Dang! That must be some spicy peanut sauce!"

Joseph and Micah made me a balloon chandelier today that is quite hilarious to look at. Even when they were making it, I could hear them giggling about how it was turning out. I can't decide which I enjoyed more, eavesdropping on their surprise or the actual surprise.  It adds a nice circus atmosphere to the maze of boxes in our chaotic fun house.

My friend, Vanessa, sent me a text today.  I called her back and caught her during her lunch break. It's been about a year since we talked over the phone.   I discovered that everything she holds dear in her life is completely falling apart. She cried and cried and my heart broke for her.  She apologized for speaking so much about herself.  I reassured her that she needed to.  She needed to confide in someone and I was glad to be a sounding board.  It made me appreciate how easy my life is.  At that moment, I wished I could move to Leeds, Utah just to wrap my arms around her.  We decided that as soon as I am able, I'm going to take her for a nice beach vacation in Monterrey .

Tonight, Joseph and I rode the motorcycle and went out to eat, just the two of us.  Does anyone else get bugged by restaurants that have 20 T.V. screens going at once?  What does that say about our society's screen addiction?  I feel like people don't know how to talk face-to-face anymore.  Still, we were able to tune out the media madness for the most part and have some great conversation.

Speaking of media though... there is a time and a place for it.  I must admit that we both really love a good show.  When we returned home from our dinner date, Joseph asked if I had any movie requests.  "Well, I can think of one that never grows old to me. Plus, it's perfect as we get ready for the next adventure of our lives and step out into the unknown."
He agreed.

Watching Mitty, for me, was the perfect ending for the day. I'm forever grateful for the lives that have touched mine.  Especially those whose influence inspires me so much more than they know.

"To see the world, things dangerous to come, 
to see behind walls, draw closer, 
to find each other, and to feel. 
That is the purpose of life.” 

-Alicia ;)

3 comments:

Ramona Gordy said...

Wow what a great day you had Alicia, look how many lives you touched...in a day. I am glad you are my friend.
Did you say you and your husband watched the Secret Life of Walter Mitty movie, was it the new one? I have watched the new one, and at first I was biased because of the actor that starred in it. But I watched it again one evening after I had come from the hospital with my husband. At that time I was full of hope that our lives would continue and pick up where we left. As I watched the movie, I could identify with Walter Mitty, his daydreams of not so much greatness, but just being present in his own life, and realizing that life should be lived without fear, that moving out of your comfort zone, is just Heavenly Father nudging us, and yes pushing us to a better potential, but he always has our back. My favorite scene was Walter Mitty skateboarding in Antarctica. He looked so free and uninhibited. I really am considering a hoverboard.
Change is part of our temporal and eternal progression and we should welcome it without fear. But I know, and you know too, that too is a process. Building a foundation of faith is what helps me out and you too I know
You should share a picture of the balloon chandelier. Happy Days Alicia

Alicia Rawlins said...

Thank you for your testimony of how the Lord works and nudges us in our lives. He's trying to stretch us and build in us a stronger faith. Ultimately, that is my desire, even if it is hard.

I love that skateboarding scene in Mitty too. Wow, I can't believe you're considering a hoverboard?! That's awesome, Ramona! I've tried one. I'm not very good at it. I'd love to get a picture of you on that. Don't go breakin' any bones.

Speaking of pictures... I added a picture of the balloon chandelier as you requested. Pretty dang awesome isn't it?!

Ramona Gordy said...

Awesome, Alicia
I have been looking at one, and I am at least 90% sold. I have an instagram account that you can access on my blog. Right now it has 3 pictures but it will become more active in the coming days.
Check it out now and then
Love you and have a wonderful weekend.