"Patience is being at peace with the process of life."
I think I need this now more than ever. We just got an eviction notice from our landlady. She didn't give a reason for wanting us to leave just told us we have 30 days to do so. She's a very difficult woman to work with. We're not the first with this complaint... all the tenants who have moved out of here in the last couple of years have had some serious struggles with her. She was fine with us for all these years because we never complained or asked for anything. In fact, while living here, I took care of most of the repairs and only asked that the cost of the part or fixture be taken from the rent.
But when we started going the way of foster care, there were several things we needed to have fixed up before we had our home study. With a home study our place has to be approved by the State and meet certain requirements. So, I called our landlady in and addressed a few issues. I actually felt like our communication that day went well. She toured the apartment with me and agreed that there were several neglected areas that fell under her responsibility. But then she said something on the way out the door that was a red flag; She said, "I don't like the idea of you bringing more children into this place one bit. I'm going to have to think about this." I explained to her that legally we fit just fine. It didn't matter. The truth is, she just doesn't like children in general: toys on the grass, the mud Miriam loves to play in, bikes and skateboards that fill the racks. The concrete stairs outside had been eroding from weather and corrosion from salt and she told Joseph on the phone that she was certain our children had been chipping away at them. She wants to rent the whole place out to newly married or college students because she won't have children to deal with. Her obsession with order and having everything fit perfectly into her plans has made her so extremely uptight that I wonder how she ever survived having 7 children!! I feel very sorry for her. I can't imagine what she would have done if she had ever stumbled across one of our skate parties. I think she would have had a heart-attack right there.
A few years ago, our neighbor tried planting some tomatoes in a weed-covered area. Our neighbor fixed the soil real nice and made a beautiful patch of garden. Our landlady came in, ripped it up and poured an ugly slab of concrete over it. This year when my husband and I found a weedy area and did the same, planting mint leaves and tomatoes, she said to us, "I don't think your garden is going to work out for you because I just put year-round weed and plant killer in that soil so nothing can grow there." We said we'd take our chances. Of course, she didn't like that at all.
Speaking of gardens...
What was that word I needed to remember again?? Oh yeah... Patience!
I really do believe this whole thing is a blessing in disguise. And surprisingly, it kind-of sprung Joseph OUT of his depression that I posted about yesterday. He's so happy to be done with this landlady. He's been wanting to move but couldn't really decide. Now the decision is set for us and made that part easier for him. For this, I am very grateful.
Off the fly last night, we threw together a skate party with some of the other tenants and a few old friends. Joseph came out and celebrated with us. He hopped on the Ripstik and danced to some music. I was very, very proud of him!!
We're trying to keep our heads up. I couldn't sleep last night and I've cried a lot. There are people here that I just can't bear to leave. I feel like half of my body is being severed from me!! My heart is aching, it's just completely broken. Nevertheless, I am at peace. I really believe this will be a good change. We will need a bigger place to foster. In fact both of us think we may end up fostering, perhaps adopting more than two children. Heck! We might even end up like our director with 15 more! Ha ha!
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment